Stores enlist customers to fight hunger

 

The milder weather has people thinking spring, not hunger, but those who require food banks face the need, no matter the time of year.

Loblaws stores, including Langley’s Real Canadian Superstore, Your Independent Grocer, and no frills, are holding the Extra Helping Spring Food Drive until April 24.

“We always try to find ways to support the local Langley community and the Extra Helping Spring Food Drive is just one way we can do that,” said Joe Viana, manager of Langley’s Real Canadian Superstore.

People can donate non-perishables at the stores (the bins are out year-round) or they can add a donation to their bill at the checkout.

“Hunger is a year-round reality for far too many families,” said Laura Lansik, executive director of Food Banks BC. “The Spring Extra Helping Food Drive helps us replenish our stock and fight hunger in our communities. Adding just one item to the food donation bin or a few extra dollars to your grocery bill makes a big difference to local families in need.”

According to Food Banks BC, about 94,000 residents, 30 per cent of them children, rely on a food bank in an average month around the province.

“When customers are thinking about what to donate, we’d like them to consider selecting the same types of healthy foods they would pick up for their own family,” Viana said.

All of the food donations and 85 per cent of cash donations will go directly to food banks across B.C., while the remaining 15 per cent of donated cash will support provincial food bank programs. 

Loblaw Companies Ltd. and its stores hope to raise $1.8 million and 1.8 million pounds of food in 2014. The stores have supported local food banks for years, but in 2009 rebranded under Extra Helping and has twice-yearly food drives.

Just Posted

CHAMBER WEEK: Langley offers year-round education and networking options

TONIGHT: Lunch, coffee, and dinner meetings tackle issues pertinent to a growing business community.

VIDEO: Weekly jazz jam added to Langley bistro’s menu

Porter’s coffee house introduces a new session for young and up-and-coming musicians.

Langley Advance has autographed jerseys, tickets up for grabs

Vancouver Giants are enjoying a great season, and one lucky reader is going to see them play Friday.

B.C. freestyle skier wins gold

Cassie Sharpe of Comox shines in the halfpipe

VIDEO: Langley Rivermen putting bullying on ice

People are invited to paint messages of suport, compassion, and kindness on ice Wednesday night.

UPDATED WITH VIDEO: Slippery roads didn’t deter runners in the 11th annual Fort Langley marathon

PHOTOS TOO: Most registered runners and walkers came out, despite ice from overnight snowfall.

OLYMPIC ROUNDUP: Canada rounds out Day 11 earning gold in 2 more events

Comox Valley’s Cassie Sharpe and fan-favourites Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir all earned golds

5 to start your day

NDP to release budget today, Dawson Creek man’s car found in Hope, and more

Trudeau announces two-way $1 billion investment deal with India

Some of India’s biggest companies to invest more than $250 million in Canada in the coming years

’60s Scoop group educates survivors, pushes rejection of federal settlement

Federal government’s compensation proposal includes $50 million for an Indigenous Healing Foundation

As ‘Black Panther’ shows, inclusion pays at the box office

At the box office, inclusion is paying — and often, it’s paying off big time

Washington senator wants B.C. to follow suit and phase out net-pen fish farms

An American ban will be less effective in the shared ecosystem of the Salish Sea, senator says

Virtue and Moir end ice dance careers with Olympic gold

Virtue and Moir’s gold medal win at the Olympics makes them the world’s most decorated figure skaters

Canadians find living in small spaces teaches creativity

Canadian families choosing to live in small spaces to bring closeness to children

Most Read