Second helping of walking dinner in Langley

There is nothing as enjoyable as doing good for others while also doing something loved.

A Taste of Langley delivers just that on May 26 with the ability to taste dishes from five downtown restaurants while proceeds from the event support The Langley Lodge and programs of the Rotary Club of Langley Sunrise.

As the second year for the co-organized event between the lodge and the Rotary club, tickets are going quickly according to Tom Louie with the Rotary.

“We were at about 85 percent of capacity last year, so hopefully we will do better this year,” he said. “[Ticket sales are] really going well. Hopefully we will sell out the week before.”

It wouldn’t be surprising to see the event sell out given the excellent lineup of restaurants involved.

On the list of stops are: Old Yale Bistro, Choo-Choo’s, Shiraz, Viva Mexico!, and Ban Chok Dee. Restaurants will serve a single course to each member of the five groups of travelling patrons.

Louie notes the event tickets outline which restaurant to meet at for the 6 p.m. start and the order of the future stops “their tour guide will escort them to the others.”

Because the restaurants are close, it’s about five to 10 minutes of walking between each one with about 35 minutes for eating each course. Think of it as a five course dinner with a stroll through Langley’s downtown between each serving.

Restaurant owners will showcase the dish of their choice for each course.

Louie thinks that bit of walking might help the process.

“You might be full after the third one [course],” he said. “The atmosphere all evening was sociable and festive,” said Mike Brown who attended as a guest last year along with a large group of friends.  “We had a great time and especially enjoyed the format of walking between restaurants.  Experiencing downtown Langley at night with the pedestrian friendly lighting was a pleasure.”

“There’s a lot of chit chatting and getting to know new friends,” Louie added of the event.

About 80 per cent of the funds raised will go to programs, equipment, and other needs at The Langley Lodge, while the remaining 20 percent will go towards a variety of programs through the Rotary Club of Langley Sunrise including a literacy program in Rwanda or perhaps a local community garden.

“We saw the Taste of Langley City as a unique way to support an important charity that serves people in the City of Langley,” explained Erin Causton of Choo-Choos Restaurant.  “This is about community.”

“It’s very successful,” Louie noted. “Because people love to eat, people love to drink, people love to socialize, so it’s a great event.”

Tickets are $40 each for the Monday evening event which runs from 6 to 9 p.m. Contact Patrick Matiowski at the Langley Lodge at 604-530-2305 or pmatiowski@langleylodge.org to purchase or buy tickets online at http://www.langleylodge.org/fundraising/events/.

Just Posted

Langley woman’s graduation marks expansion of PTSD service dog program

Delta-based B.C. and Alberta Guide Dogs Society and Vancouver Island Compassion Dogs merging to service to more veterans

For a 20th year, golfers memorialize Surrey business owner killed by cancer

Annual tourney pays tribute to Howie Blessin, who wasn’t an avid golfer but employed people who are

National PTSD awareness ride rolling into Langley

The Rolling Barrage 2018 ride will arrive next Tuesday and overnight in Langley.

Spartans squeak out pre-season soccer victory in Oregon

Trinity Western’s women’s soccer team plays in Washington today, then at home on Saturday night.

Take-home naloxone may be replacing 911 calls in parts of Lower Mainland

Naloxone kits handed out up 29% over 2017, ambulance calls and emergency visits down 22-24%, deaths hold steady

Happy birthday Boler: An anniversary gathering of the cutest campers in Winnipeg

Hundreds of the unique trailers in Winnipeg to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Manitoba invention

UPDATED: B.C. matching Red Cross donations for victims of wildfires

Donations being taken by many organizations, BC Hydro waiving bills

VIDEO: ERT called to Port Moody home for distraught man with a gun

Officers negotiated with man for about four hours before he was arrested and taken to hospital

Woodpecker goes out with a bang, starts grassfire in B.C. city

Untimely death of woodpecker causes power outage in Cawston

Communities on evacuation alert in many areas of B.C. as wildfires flare

Warning was issued for 583-square-kilometre blaze that has charred Fraser Lake to Fort St. James

UPDATE: Kelowna’s crying judge refuses to pull herself from case

Judge Monica McParland won’t pull herself off of case.

Complaint coming about cattle prod use at B.C. rodeo

Fair reps investigate after Vancouver Humane Society pics show shocking device at bullriding event

PHOTOS: B.C. city wakes up to darkness under wildfire smoke

The rest of the province also dealing with thick haze as smoky skies continue

Most Read