Joanne Maurice had a four-pound shadow with a furry face and a button nose.
Maurice had her seven-year-old Yorkie, Sadie, from the time she was a pup. Sadie died April 24, a few hours after she started to get sick.
â€œThe vet confirms that she was poisoned with a rat poison, slug bait type product,â€ Maurice said. â€œHer blood stopped being able to clot and she bled out into her lungs and the rest of her body.â€
On Tuesday, Mauriceâ€™s neighbour in the same Langley City building lost her dog.
â€œMy neighbourâ€™s dog also died very much the same way this morning. She bled out as well vomiting as wellâ€¯as bleeding profusely out of her nose. She was also a small dog,â€ Maurice explained.
She and her neighbour live beside Douglas Park where they frequently walked their pets.
Maurice is afraid that a child or another animal will be harmed by exposure to something toxic. She said authorities were contacted.
Sadieâ€™s death leaves a huge hole in Mauriceâ€™s life.
â€œSadie was my little girl. She was the sweetest, gentle, loving, friendly little dog. Words cannot explain the pain, sense of loss, and heartbreak that I feel,â€ Maurice said. â€œShe was my little shadow and was never far from my side. There was never a moment that passed that she didnâ€™t make me smile or laugh. I took her everywhere, even travelling with me on my business trips.â€
Langley City administrator Francis Cheung said the City does not put out poison for pest control.
The only steps taken recently by the City was the application of vinegar for sidewalk weed control, he said.