The Trans Mountain Pipeline’s planned expansion cleared a major hurdle Thursday, as it was given National Energy Board approval.
The NEB recommended approval with conditions.
That still leaves approval by the federal cabinet and by the B.C. provincial government.
Kinder Morgan wants to almost triple the size of the oil pipeline, which runs from Alberta through B.C. – and North Langley – to a Burnaby refinery.
The route would also likely change at several places, and proposed route changes include moving its route near Walnut Grove and Fort Langley.
Langley MLA and B.C. environment minister Mary Polak said B.C. will still only approve the new pipeline under five conditions.
Those include an environmental review, spill response, prevention, and recovery systems being in place, participation and benefit to First Nations people, and a fair fiscal share for B.C. of the oil profits.
“Meeting all five conditions will be a challenge,” Polak said in a statement.
The federal government is expected to make its final decision before the end of the year.
The pipeline plans have drawn some protests in Langley over the past year, including a march involving dozens in Fort Langley. Local environmentalists and landowners marched with members of the Kwantlen First Nation.
Langley Township has also had a somewhat testy relationship with Trans Mountain, last year saying that the pipeline firm wasn’t answering questions about the project.