No one was injured, but two families worth of items were destroyed or damaged in a Friday morning fire in Walnut Grove.
The 2 a.m. fire gutted a home on a cul-de-sac near 214th Street and 90th Avenue.
The family and pets got out safely, said Langley Township assistant fire chief Pat Walker.
They lost a lot of possessions, partly because one additional family member was staying in the home while her house was being finished.
A U-Haul truck loaded with possessions was in the driveway, and the garage was also filled up, Walker said.
That also gave the fire some extra fuel, and it burned straight up through the house before crews managed to extinguish it.
“The crews did an amazing job,” Walker said. There was some heat damage to the nearest house next door, but firefighters kept the flames from spreading.
On Friday afternoon, firefighters believed they found the cause of the blaze, tracing its origin to a planter near the house.
“The planter was full of peat moss,” said Walker. Peat moss, when dry, can burn extremely well.
“We discovered that there was a number of cigarette butts in the planter,” said Walker.
The most likely cause for the fire is improperly extinguished smoking materials, Walker said.
The family is being put up by the local emergency services program.
The house was insured, Walker said.