A man walks away from the Creep Catchers camera crew and into the Sevenoaks Shopping Centre parking lot after being filmed Oct. 14, 2016.

Child luring charge stayed against former Fraser Valley principal

Jason Obert arrested after Creep Catchers video last fall

A charge of child luring has been stayed against a former Mission elementary school principal who was the target of a sting last fall by Fraser Valley Creep Catchers.

Instead, a nine-month peace bond was issued Monday in Abbotsford provincial court against Jason Alan Obert, 38.

A peace bond is a court order that requires a person to keep the peace and be on good behaviour for a period of time, or they can face criminal charges.

Obert was charged last November with one count of using telecommunication to lure a child under the age of 16.

He came to the attention of police after Creep Catchers released a video they said was taken Oct. 14 at the food court in Sevenoaks Shopping Centre.

The group has people pose as children and teens online in an attempt to lure possible sexual offenders into public.

They then videotape them, asking them why they wanted to meet with underage children, and then post the footage.

The video in question was posted online and indicated that the man in the footage had identified himself as “James,” a 33-year-old biologist, in his online communications with a decoy.

The decoy had posed as two girls, ages 14 and 15, and “James” had arranged to meet one of them, Creep Catchers claimed.

After the video was posted, several people said they recognized the man as Obert, who at the time was the principal of Windebank Elementary in Mission.

The Abbotsford Police Department subsequently launched an investigation into the matter and announced on Nov. 25 that Obert had been charged.

The Mission school district announced that a new principal had been put in place at the school and that Obert was no longer working in the district.

Permanent decisions about a teacher’s certification are made by the Ministry of Education’s Teacher Regulation Branch (TRB), and decisions are posted online.

The ministry does not comment on specific cases but, to date, no decision about Obert is on the TRB website.

– with files from Kevin Mills

Just Posted

Dear Santa: the Langley Advance presents local children’s letters to the jolly old elf

During the holidays, the Langley Advance will present letters to Santa. Here is the first selection.

Car fire destroys vehicle in Langley

Firefighters doused a car fire that sent a lot of smoke into the air in Langley.

VIDEO: Hankering for a piece of Star Wars?

A massive Star Wars memorabilia collection is going on the auction block in Langley.

South Surrey shots-fired accused due back in court Jan. 2

Cameron Barton arrested Sept. 25 in White Rock

Cloverdale’s Thunder Colts hockey team raises thousands for Burn Fund

Barbeque event brings in $3,400, donations accepted until Friday, Dec. 15

VIDEO: Recovering addict shares art and story to motivate others

A Langley City man spends time each day painting in McBurney Plaza.

Court denies WestJet’s bid to toss out discrimination lawsuit of former worker

Mandalena Lewis is suing WestJet over allegations of gender-based discrimination

VIDEO: 3 months later, rescued sea lion released back into ocean

The young animal was found in Campbell River three months ago

Sagmoen neighbours recall alleged hammer attack

Woman was screaming outside Maple Ridge townhouse in 2013

UPDATED: Train collides with car in Maple Ridge

Mother and child both uninjured, track cleared at 11 a.m.

Accused B.C. drug smuggler to be extradited

Supreme Court of Canada upholds extradition order for accused Shuswap drug smuggler, Colin Martin

One convicted, two cleared in 2014 deaths of men in B.C.’s Cariboo

Andrew Jongbloets convicted of manslaughter in deaths of Matthew Hennigar, 23 and Kalvin Andy, 22

VIDEO: Pedestrian struck by vehicle caught on security camera

Incident points to danger on the roads not only in low light but also in bright sunshine

Firefighter dies, thousands more take on California blaze

This is second death linked to the Thomas fire, northwest of Los Angeles

Most Read