Balaclava rapist Larry Takahashi won’t get overnight leave: parole board

He is serving three life sentences for multiple counts of rape, aggravated sexual assault

Larry Takahashi (Black Press files)

Documents from the Parole Board of Canada show the man known as the balaclava rapist is making some progress while on day parole, but not enough to authorize overnight leave.

Larry Takahashi is serving three life sentences for multiple counts of rape, aggravated sexual assault and other attacks on 23 women in the Edmonton area in the 1970s and ’80s.

The 65-year-old, who committed the attacks while wearing the close-fitting headgear that covered all but his eyes and mouth, was granted day parole in August 2016 and his parole has been continued twice since then.

In its decision, the board notes Takahashi has been voluntarily meeting with a psychologist and police have determined he no longer needs to report monthly to a high-risk offender unit.

A correctional plan updated in January shows Takahashi’s overall risk factors have declined and his case management team supports his request for overnight leave.

In rejecting the application, the board says it remains concerned with the gravity of Takahashi’s offences, which led to guilty pleas involving 23 victims. He also admitted that he had assaulted many more women.

“While you have been adhering to the rules, complying with conditions and being polite and agreeable with others, your risk continues to be assessed as moderate to high,” the board says.

The decision, release to the media on Thursday, says Takahashi needs ”a slow, structured and supervised release.”

The two board members say they doubt overnight leave would advance Takahashi’s correctional plan or measurably reduce his risk to reoffend.

“The Board has determined that given your criminal history and the fact that you have spent the majority of your life incarcerated, incremental, gradual steps are imperative.”

The Canadian Press

Just Posted

Langley teacher who screamed at, grabbed elementary students suspended

This is the second four-month suspension for the Langley teacher.

Langley Thunder player named WLA Rookie of the Year

Tyler Pace had a great year in his first full season for the Thunder.

Langley What’s On: Aug. 16, 2018 edition

Submit Langley events: LangleyAdvance.com/add-event or news@langleyadvance.com (subject: What’s On).

Serious collision in South Surrey

One to hospital with serious injuries; 16 Avenue remains closed

B.C. declares state of emergency as more than 560 wildfires rage

This is only the fourth state of emergency ever issued during a fire season

Interim GoFundMe payments approved in Humboldt Broncos crash

$50,000 to be given to each of the 13 survivors and each family of the 16 people who died

Altidore nets 3 as Toronto drubs Whitecaps 5-2

Vancouver falls 7-4 on aggregate in Canadian Championship final

Ottawa intervenes to get B.C. ball player, 13, to Little League World Series

Before immigration issue was resolved, Dio Gama was out practicing the game he loves Wednesday

Pet goldfish invades small B.C. lake

Pinecrest Lake is located between Whistler and Squamish

Metro Vancouver water reservoirs in ‘good shape’

Reserves sitting at 70-per-cent full, officials said, despite long stretch without major rain

Mounties deployed to help B.C. communities affected by wildfires

RCMP officers heading to places particularly within central, northern and southern B.C.

Chinese medicine practitioner in B.C. facing historical sex assault charges

71-year old Kit Wong practiced acupuncture from his home during the time of the assaults

Quebec sets aside $900 million for companies hurt by U.S. tariffs

Premier Philippe Couillard says his government will make $863 million available over five years

Most Read