Senator wants inquiry after charges stayed against two women in Alberta killing

Senator wants inquiry into Alberta case

OTTAWA — A senator is calling for a public inquiry after Alberta prosecutors stayed charges against a second woman accused in a murder case.

Kim Pate says an inquiry is needed to look at the actions of police and the Crown in taking Wendy Scott and Connie Oakes to court.

The pair were charged with first-degree murder after Casey Armstrong was found stabbed in the neck in the bathtub of his mobile home in Medicine Hat, Alta., in May 2011.

Scott pleaded guilty to second-degree murder, then testified against Oakes. A jury convicted Oakes on the same charge.

The Court of Appeal ordered new trials for both women after Scott, who has a low IQ and cognitive difficulties, retracted her confession and testimony. Court heard the only evidence against Oakes came from Scott. There was no forensic evidence or motive linking the women to the killing.  

The Crown stayed the charge against Oakes last year and the charge against Scott last week.

The case “screams” for a thorough review,” said Pate.

“Here are two women who ended up going to prison, facing potentially the rest of their lives in prison, for what has now been overturned and looks like clearly wrongful convictions,” she said.

“We need to examine how what happened to them happened, and why it was not interfered with at any stage of the process.”

Pate, who was appointed to the Senate in November, said she plans to talk soon with justice officials about an inquiry.

She had already called for an inquiry into the case while she was executive director of the Canadian Association of Elizabeth Fry Societies. During her time with the organization, she met both Oakes and Scott, and Oakes became an advocate with the group.

Pate said someone needs to look into what happened to the two women and why it took years for them to be freed.

Alberta Justice said its recent decision to stay the murder charge against Scott was made after much consideration.

“This case was assessed and reassessed on a constant basis,” spokeswoman Katherine Thompson said in an emailed statement.

“Every case has its own unique factual background and complicated evidentiary considerations. In this particular case, the Crown evaluated both the likelihood of conviction and the public interest, and, after doing so, the decision was made by the Crown to direct the stay of proceedings as it was felt to be in the best interests of justice to do so.”

— By Chris Purdy in Edmonton

The Canadian Press

Just Posted

Langley Rotarians work for clinics in Kenya

Local Rotary Clubs are asking locals to think of others at Christmastime.

#MeToo at work: How reporting sexual harassment works – and how it doesn’t

British Columbians have four options to report harassment or assault, but none of them are easy

Looking Back: Dec. 14, 2017

The community’s history as recorded in the files of the Langley Advance

Throwback Thursday: December 14, 2017

Can you help us caption a photo from Langley’s past?

Giants invite fans to toss teddy bears at Langley game

The annual Teddy Bear Toss takes place at this Sunday’s home game in the LEC.

VIDEO: Recovering addict shares art and story to motivate others

A Langley City man spends time each day painting in McBurney Plaza.

B.C. government to launch coastal ferry review in January

The Province will begin a comprehensive review of the coastal ferry service in British Columbia in 2018

5 to start your day

A rhyming MP getting into the Christmas spirit on the hill, Langley boy chased by two men and more

Federal Crown drops appeal after charges against pot activist dismissed

Dana Larsen said he was served notice at his home in Vancouver and the case was to be heard July 2

Prince Harry and Meghan Markle to marry May 19

Kensington Palace announced the date to the public Friday

Debt-to-household-income ratio rises in third quarter

Total household credit market debt grew to $2.11 trillion in the third quarter

PART I: How Prince Rupert schools teach Indigenous language to hundreds of students

A multimedia series with videos and photos from children’s Sm’algyax classes on B.C.’s North Coast

B.C. Mountie told to resign after texting teenage sex assault victim

RCMP documents say Const. Brian Eden sent sexually inappropriate photos to 17-year-old girl

B.C. Interior First Nation create a community radio station

The Tsilhqot’in National Government is developing a radio station to promote language revitalization and create unity

Most Read