Langley pioneer Hugh Davis will be remembered next month when a street is officially dedicated in his name.
A portion of 76B Avenue east of 216th Street will be designated Hugh Davis Way in a small private ceremony on Feb. 17 at the Milner Chapel.
Davis passed away early last October at the age of 93.
Davis was born on the family farm his grandfather, also named Hugh, bought from the Hudson’s Bay Company in 1872.
They bought just 121 acres, as $20 an acre was considered a lot of money back then, Davis previously told the Langley Advance.
The third of five generations to farm the same Milner land, Davis’s grandfather was one of the locals who helped see the Milner Chapel built.
The elder Davis needed that church, or the girl he planned to marry wouldn’t move out to what was then a wilderness.
Hugh Davis was a frequent visitor to Langley Township council meetings, especially after the election of his son David Davis as a councillor.
Hugh Davis would sometimes speak at public meetings, providing historic context about local landmarks and the changes that had taken place over the years.
He remembered driving on Fraser Highway the day it opened back in 1930, for example.