We are long-time members of the Aldergrove Fair. Originally from New Zealand, we always try to add some very imaginative and creative ideas to keep things fresh and exciting at the fair, each year.
Pavlova is a family favourite. It is a New Zealand (and Australian) staple at Christmas.
We would occasionally have steamed pudding, that would usually be partly eaten, but the Pavlova was always finished down to the last crumb!
from Suzanne and Mike Robinson, Aldergrove Fair
• 3 egg whites
• 6 tbsp cold water
• 1 cup castor sugar
• 1 tsp vinegar
• 1 tsp vanilla essence
• 3 tsp cornflour
1. Beat egg whites until they are stiff.
2. Add the cold water and then beat the mixture again.
3. Keep beating vigorously and add the castor sugar very slowly.
4. Slow beater and add rest of ingredients.
5. Put on greased paper or tray in a circle shape about 5-10mm thick but slightly thicker at the edges.
6. Bake at 150 C degrees for 45 minutes. Do not open the oven door or bang the stove while cooking.
7. At 45 minutes turn off the stove, open the door very gently and leave to cool in the oven for 30 min or so. It should be lightly crusted and a little chewy on the outside and soft and light on the inside.
8. Decorate with whipped cream plus as many sliced strawberries and/or kiwifruit as pieces it is eventually going to be cut into.