Eighty Years Ago
June 18, 1936
• Langley Agricultural Ass’n. announced plans to add 20 feet to its cattle and poultry barns at the fairgrounds in Milner.
• Langley’s volunteer firefighters went shopping: they bought 1-1/2-inch hose couplings and 10 pairs of rubber boots, and insured the fire truck against public liability and 10 firefighters against injury.
Seventy Years Ago
June 20, 1946
• Municipal council bought a mobile rock-crushing plant for $22,450 to pave 44 miles of road.
• H.B. Devine was appointed chief over four Langley firefighting units.
• Fourteen school teachers tendered their resignations.
Sixty Years Ago
June 21, 1956
• Senator Tom Reid asked the Ministry of Transport to consider Langley’s airfield as a second airport for Vancouver.
• A new Trans-Canada Highway was proposed, with two lanes at first, and with a direct link with the Fort Langley ferry via Glover Road.
Fifty Years Ago
June 23, 1966
• Thirteen cows and two calves perished in a fire that claimed one of the largest structure in Langley. The Brydon barn at 5311 Carvolth Rd (200th St.) had been a local landmark for 50 years.
• Two short extensions of Langley City’s water system were authorized. Four properties on Lewis Road (50th Ave.) were to be serviced for $550 each.
• Joe Chesney was elected president of the Langley Chamber of Commerce.
Forty Years Ago
June 17, 1976
• The federal Neighbourhood Improvement and Residential Rehabilitation Assistance programs provided a half million dollars to improve the southwest corner of Langley City.
• Royal Bank manager Weir Muir was installed as president of Langley Chamber of Commerce.
• Plans to create downtown parking, funded by a special tax on downtown businesses, was tabled indefinitely by Langley City council.
Thirty Years Ago
June 18, 1986
• A program that for the first time would offer a guidance curriculum – including sex education – to students from Kindergarten to Grade 12 was introduced to school trustees.
• Township council sought provincial approval to allow building of “granny flats.”
• City council announced that all-day parking would soon be available downtown for $15 per month.
Twenty Years Ago
June 19, 1996
• Langley Chamber of Commerce moved into its new digs on Glover Road.
• Money had run out, and Citizenship and Immigration Canada staff nixed its hitherto annual July 1 citizenship court at Fort Langley.
• Wet weather delayed and reduced strawberry crops.
• The newly completed Innes Corners Plaza was publicly unveiled during Langley Country Style Days.