Eighty Years Ago
January 6, 1938
• Local farmers Jack Perkins and Alec Ferguson found a bobcat feeding their garden, and clubbed it to death.
• Trustee Mrs. Shaw said planned to retire from the school board, and Mrs. Clive Rogers declared she would stand for the vacancy. Also intending to retire were Trustees Bull and Mufford.
Seventy Years Ago
January 7, 1948
• Five new council members were sworn in: James A. Dalgleish, George W. Brooks, Richard Langdon, Jack Roberts, and as reeve (mayor), Thomas Reid. Retiring reeve Noel Booth wished the incoming council well.
• Trustee W.L. Dence was elected chairman of the school board during the board’s first meeting of the year.
Sixty Years Ago
January 9, 1958
• Mayor E.E. Sendall told Langley City council that water, roads, bridges, and sidewalks would cost $1,350,000. He discounted the idea of raising taxes to cover some of the cost.
• Fire gutted the four-year-old service station at Carvolth Road (200th Street) and Fraser Highway.
Fifty Years Ago
January 11, 1968
• Langley City’s provisional budget included a 26 per cent increase in revenues and expenditures.
• Trustee Tom Gleig was elected chairman of the school board, and Trustee Jack Marriott was chosen vice-chairman.
• Tenders were called for construction of a new bridge over the Nicomekle River at Old Yale Road.
• Council considered building an extension to the Langley City police station and adding one or two men.
Forty Years Ago
January 11, 1978
• City council planned to use extra funding from the increased provincial liquor levy to offset policing costs.
• City council, reluctant to spend $300,000 to expand the cramped Centennial Library, considered using portable buildings for extra capacity.
Thirty Years Ago
January 6, 1988
• An entire flock of sheep was massacred in a Robertson Crescent barn by what was believed to have been a pack of neighbourhood dogs.
• Threat of a lawsuit forced Township council to rescind its previous year’s resolution that halted subdivision development on the Salmon River Uplands.
• Problems with cement work added a delay to the projected February opening of a new Langley Memorial Hospital wing.
• Pioneer P.Y. Porter, who spent almost all of his 97 years in Langley and was owner and postmaster at the general store at Five Corners in Murrayville, passed away on Jan. 1.
Twenty Years Ago
January 9, 1998
• The community and town planners agreed that Save-On-Foods was welcome in Aldergrove – but closer to the centre of the village than its proposed 264th Street and Fraser Highway site. Council, on the other hand, seemed inclined to favour the on-the-edge-of-town location.
• Ten men and women were arrested after a year-long investigation into heroin and cocaine trafficking in Langley.
• More than 100 Langley City residents were forced from their homes after a propane tank sprung a leak at a nearby gas station.