Seventy Years Ago
January 23, 1936
• About 200 people attended the municipal council’s stewardship meeting in Fort Langley. Expenditures by council in 1935 had totalled $207,472.30, including $26,000 for education, $8,939.53 for administration, $77,365.46 on public works, and $14,269.46 in relief payment.
• Mrs. G.Bishop was elected president of the Langley Band Association. Bill Lott was vice-president, Mrs. M. Copeland was treasurer, and J. Powell was secretary.
Sixty Years Ago
January 24, 1946
• A general meeting of the Aldergrove Cooperative Association decided to immediately build a cold storage plant.
• The school board had to decide whether to repair the old schools in the district or build a new one. A delegation from the West Langley School Parent-Teacher Association asked the board for re-roofing, heating, plumbing, and interior decoration at their school.
• C.W. Lawson succeeded D.W. Poppy Jr. as president of the Langley Liberal Association.
Fifty Years Ago
January 26, 1956
• Passage of the Parks Land Acquisition Bylaw turned Athletic Park into Langley City property.
• Alex Hope, president of the Fort Langley Restoration Society, expressed confidence that the Langley Board of Trade would support a new restoration project at the old Hudson Bay fort site in Fort Langley.
• Aldergrove Chamber of Commerce petitioned council for improvements to roads, lanes, and sidewalks, as well as urging creation of a parking lot in the centre of town.
Forty Years Ago
January 27 1966
• Marauding dogs, previously spotted in packs of two to seven between Livingstone (232nd St.) and McDonald (256th St.) Roads,were blamed for the slaughter of 14 penned rabbits.
• Langley City council approved the first of its 1966 service projects: a $5,000 extension of the City’s water main 1,000 feet along Glover Rd., northeast from Eastleigh Cres.
Thirty Years Ago
January 22, 1976
• About 175 Langley mothers were prepared to join the annual Mothers’ March, a door-to-door canvassing campaign to raise money for the Kinsmen Rehabilitation Fund.
• Township council was considering a new proposal to extend No. 10 Highway (Langley Bypass) through Glover Rd, to connect with Fraser Hwy. at about Old Yale Rd.
• A plan to ban parking on the south side of Fraser Hwy. from 202nd to 206th Streets died in the face of local business opposition.
Twenty Years Ago
January 22, 1986
• An extra-curricular run-a-thon fundraising event sponsored by Douglas Park School was shut down after a student was approached by two men who asked her to get into their car.
• Despite his son-in-law’s efforts to save him, an 85-year-old man perished in a house fire.
• Langley travel agent Wayne McCannan was freed by the Cost Rican government, but his freedom was hampered by complicated legal paperwork.
Ten Years Ago
January 24, 1996
• A man stabbed a three-month-old baby was stabbed to death in the presence of his estranged wife and family in their Langley Meadows home. He was not the baby’s father.
• Township council approved a financial strategy for an $8.3 million cultural centre, to be built in Murrayville, with Langley Community Music School as its major tenant. The facility was slated to open in January of 1998.
• Local doctors rallied behind Dr. Keith and Marilyn Lamont’s quest to bring their daughter Christine home from the Brazilian jail cell where she was serving a 28-year sentence for kidnapping.
• Well-meaning motorists jammed 911 lines, reporting snow-related mishaps which often had already been reported several times, and in many cases, in which no help had been needed in the first place.