Eighty Years Ago
January 13, 1938
• Willoughby’s new community hall was about to be opened.
• Langley Farmers’ institute re-elected J. Mash president. W.R. Major was vice-president and George Young secretary-treasurer. Directors were R.H. Helmer, Clive Rogers, Sid Gray, and E.R. Freeman.
Seventy Years Ago
January 15, 1948
• Several member of the Langley Amateur Athletic Association made an unexpected move that was intended to transfer the club’s eight-acre field and buildings to the Canadian Legion. The plan was to be subject to approval at a general meeting.
• Fort Langley and Glen Valley residents were told dredging of the Bedford Channel was to commence in May.
Sixty Years Ago
January 16, 1958
• Renovations started on the Simms block owned by Les McDonald and Jack MacDonald.
• Men of Duckworth’s store were the first to start growing their beards for the centennial celebrations. The company announced prizes for the best growth among staff members.
• Opening of the new elementary school in Fort Langley resulted in closure of Fort Langley Elementary and East Langley School.
Fifty Years Ago
January 18, 1968
• A jury investigating the drowning death of a toddler in an unused reservoir on the Langley Greenhouse property recommended that such bodies of water be fenced according to standards to be set down in a city ordinance.
• Township council considered extending Campbell River Road (8th Avenue) to the Langley Speedway, to serve as an alternate route for race track traffic.
Forty Years Ago
January 18, 1978
• The Township’s provisional budget bottom line was $11,640,190, about $2 million above the previous budget.
• Axing public works or increasing the fire levy were suggested as remedies to the quarter-million-dollar deficit in the City’s proposed $9,747,735 budget.
• Influenza was emptying Langley classrooms. Two principals, 15 teachers, and 344 students were already out with the bug.
• Langley City council spent an extra $862 to add an earthquake damage clause to its property insurance coverage.
Thirty Years Ago
January 13, 1988
• Township council’s commitment to bring water and sewer services to its urban and rural quarters raised the budget by $10 million, to nearly $67 million, for a property tax hike of four per cent.
• Langley City’s population had grown to 17,040, according to city planner Tass Tanner. He reported that 64 single-family and duplex units and 184 miulti-family units had been added to the city’s residential complement in the previous year.
Twenty Years Ago
January 16, 1998
• Changes in catchment areas, to deal with overcrowding at Walnut Grove Secondary, met resistance from some parents.
• Documents obtained by the Langley Advance under Freedom of Information legislation indicated that the provincial government was studying potential problems surrounding 200th Street freeway interchange improvements, and a start to construction was planned in 1998.
• Fort Langley painter Alan Wylie became only the sixth Canadian ever to be recognized as a signature member by the 131-year-old American Watercolor Society.
• Soil contamination discovered by the Ministry of Environment at 0 Avenue and 200th Street put a serious kink into Vicwood’s plans to develop the land.