A three-year-old girl who fell from an upper storey window of a Walnut Grove house was rushed to hospital Tuesday.
The girl fell at about 3:35 p.m. from a home in the 9400 block of 213th Street.
She was rushed to BC Children's Hospital by Air Ambulance, according to the BC Ambulance Service.
Information about her current condition was not available.
This is just the most recent case of a toddler falling from an upper storey window over the past several years. Almost all of them have involved young children pushing out screens while windows were open on warm days.
Julien Ponsioen, a supervisor with BC Ambulance, has responded to such calls in the past.
Although he couldn't speak to any specifics of Tuesday's incident, he said it is worrying that the incidents keep happening, even though warnings are issued after each one.
"They [parents] are not thinking about the fact that their kids are climbing up on the furniture," he said.
Screens can be easily pushed out, even by a child leaning forward.
"They're not designed to hold back a little person," said Ponsioen. "They're meant to keep bugs out."
Ambulance paramedics have three recommendations to prevent such incidents.
First, only open windows about five to six inches, which allows airflow without allowing children to fall out.
Second, attaching a safety bar across the window can help, he said.
Finally, move furniture away from the windows so children can't climb up to reach them.
@ Copyright 2013