Langley's best guide for what's happening around town.
- Cascades Casino, 20393 Fraser Hwy., 604-530-2211
- The Vanilla Room, 6001 196A St.,604-530-2026.
- Gabby's Cabaret, 20297 Fraser Hwy., 604-533-3111, www.gabbyscabaret.com
Tuesdays, Free karaoke.
- Bob's Steakhouse, 27083 Fraser Hwy., 604-857-7725, www.bobsbarandgrill.com.
Acoustic open mic every Thursday at 7 p.m.
- Fox and Fiddle, 19530 Langley Bypass.
- The Troubadour Club, 20299 Industrial Ave., 604-530-8888
- Water Shed Cafe, 20349 88 Ave., 604-882-0651
- New Year's at Jubilee Hall: The Ken McCoy Band provides the music for the big party at the hall, 7989 Bradner Rd. Full buffet, party favours, champagne and overnight parking. Tickets: $35, at Wilway Lumber, 28728 Fraser Hwy. or at www.brownpapertickets.com/event/295405. Info: 604-856-8690.
- Square Wheelers Square Dance Club invites people to participate. Dancing is Tuesday and Wednesday, 7 p.m. at Port Kells Community Hall, 18918 88th Ave. Free to all new dancers. Register: 604-513-9901 or 604-594-6415, or www.squaredance.bc.ca.
- Scottish Country Dancing: The first lesson is free. Check out the lively dancing. No partner necessary. Beginners welcome. The group meets Tuesdays at 7:30 p.m. in the Fort Langley Community Hall. Info: Rebecca, 604-530-0500 or email@example.com.
- Guys'n'Gals Square Dance Club: Try modern western square dance for free for the first three dances. The club meets September through June at the Aldergrove OAP Hall, 3015 273rd St., on Sundays 1-4 p.m. Info: Wendy, 778-878-4244.
- Valley Bluegrass Music Society: Membership is open to anyone who enjoys bluegrass. The group meets Mondays 7-10:30 p.m. in the Langley United Church for weekly jams. Attendance is free for the first time, then $4 for members and $6 for guests. For more information, call 604-534-0957, visit www.valleybluegrass.webs.com or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Langley Memorial Hospital Foundation holiday fundraisers: Keepsake Portraits has a $300 photo package (half goes to the foundation). Available throughout the Lower Mainland. Info: 604-7626629 or email@example.com.Edible Arrangements has a $45 hand-dipped chocolate strawberry collection with $9 going to the foundation. Available until Dec. 31. Info: 110 - 8700 200th St., or 604-888-3434.Info: www.lmhfoundation.com or 604-533-6422.
- Langley Writers' Guild: The group meets on the first, second and fourth Thursdays of the month at the Langley City library. All genres. The group will consider one evening meeting per month if there is interest. Info: Doris, 604-534-3384.
- Green Wednesday - Kwantlen Polytechnic University Horticulture students and the Green Ideas Network present the monthly environmental gathering at 7 p.m. in the campus auditorium. The Jan. 9 event features the documentary White Water, Black Gold. RSVP: 604-599-3247 or Betty.Cunnin@kwantlen.ca.
- Langley Camera Club meets 7 p.m. at Fort Langley Community Hall, 9167 Glover Rd., on 2nd, 3rd and 4th Wed. of each month. All levels of photographers and newcomers welcome. Info: 604-532-9212.
Programs are free, and pre-registration is required unless noted otherwise.
- Aldergrove Library
26770 29th Ave. 604-856-6415
- Brookswood Library
20045 40th Ave. 604-534-7055
- City of Langley Library
20399 Douglas Cres. 604-514-2855
A Very Button Christmas: On Dec. 21, 2-3 p.m., enjoy Christmas crafts with buttons (supplied or bring some). Sign up in advance. Open to all ages.
Book Club: Members meet on the third Tuesday of the month to discuss a selected title. Call the library to find out the current title. 2 p.m.
Art Critiques the last Monday of each month. Are you developing your talent as an artist? Bring a piece of art to be discussed and interpreted by fellow participants, as well as by an experienced art facilitator. Pre-registration required. Call ahead to confirm. 7 p.m.
- Fort Langley Library
9167 Glover Rd. 604-888-0722
- Muriel Arnason Library
#130 20338 65th Ave. 604-532-3590
- Murrayville Library
22071 48th Ave. 604-533-0339
Family Storytimes: Children ages 2-6 and their caregivers are invited to join library staff for a half- hour program of stories, songs, puppets and rhymes. 10:30 a.m., Wednesdays to Dec. 12.
- Walnut Grove Library
8889 Walnut Grove Dr. 604-882-0410
- African violet club: This is a call out to anyone interested in a new club for the Fraser Valley. Learn about the plants, their care, the varieties and more. Info: Shelley, 604-793-9818.
- Vaudeville acts: The Langley Centennial Museum is accepting applications from acts for a vaudeville extravaganza on Feb. 23. Deadline to apply is Dec. 20. Complete details are at www.langleymuseum.org.
- Art in Found Spaces Exhibition is organized by the Langley Arts Council. Submissions accepted of artwork of all disciplines that can be placed throughout Langley in unusual and public venues. Info: 604-534-0781, or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Handel Society of Music Choir
The choir has been together for 45 years and includes members from throughout the Fraser Valley. Practices: Northwood United Church, 88th Avenue and 156th Street. Info: Bob at 604-277-4319, or www.handelsociety.ca.
- Silver Belles & Beaux Chorus
New members welcomed as singers or instrumentalists. Visit Friday a.m. rehearsals. Lots of performances in care and retirement homes. Fun guaranteed. Info: call Marvyn Shore at 604-534-1090 or email email@example.com.
- Langley Community Chorus: Rehearsals are Wednesday evenings at 7:30 p.m. in the Langley Community Music School. New members (especially tenors and bass) welcome. Fees are $70 membership and $50 (refundable) music deposit. Info: www.langleychorus.org.
- Langley Concert Band: New members with a minium of one year playing experience are always welcome. Rehearsals: Monday, 7-9 p.m. in the R.E. Mountain Secondary band room. Info: firstname.lastname@example.org. Drop by to check it out before joining.
- Opus One Women's Ensemble: No experience is necessary, only a love of singing. The group performs all kinds of music and accepts new members throughout the year. Rehearsals are Wednesdays, 7-9 p.m. in the R.E. Mountain Secondary choir room. Info: email@example.com.
- Langley Amateur Radio Association (LARA): The group meets on the first Thursday of each month (unless otherwise advised) at 7 p.m. in the Brookswood Firehall, 20355 32nd Ave. Coffee and sweets. Info: Al, firstname.lastname@example.org or Don, email@example.com.
- Aldergrove Telephone Museum,
3190 271 St., 604-857-0555, www.telephonemuseum.ca
- B.C. Farm Machinery & Agricultural Museum,
9131 King St., 604-888-2273, www.bcfma.com
- Canadian Museum of Flight,
5333 216th St. hangar 3, 604-888-3992, www.canadianflight.org
- Langley Centennial Museum,
9135 King St., 604-888-3922
- Fort Langley National Historic Site
23433 Mavis Ave., 604-513-4777
Heritage Holiday: Enjoy old fashioned activities, including roasting chestnuts on an open fire, cookie decorating and hot chocolate Dec. 22-23, 27-30 and Jan. 2-6 with regular park admission.
- Surrey Historical Society Museum
17710 56A Ave., 604-592-6956
What's What? listings are free. To be considered for publication in the Langley Advance, items must be submitted at least 10 days prior to the publication date. What's What? appears weekly, in the Langley Advance's Thursday edition and in the online edition at www.langleyadvance.com.