Langley's best guide for what's happening around town.
- Cascades Casino, 20393 Fraser Hwy., 604-530-2211
- The Vanilla Room, 6001 196A St.,604-530-2026.
- Gabby's Cabaret, 20297 Fraser Hwy., 604-533-3111, www.gabbyscabaret.com
Tuesdays, Free karaoke.
- Bob's Steakhouse, 27083 Fraser Hwy., 604-857-7725, www.bobsbarandgrill.com.
Acoustic open mic every Thursday at 7 p.m.
- Fox and Fiddle, 19530 Langley Bypass.
- The Troubadour Club, 20299 Industrial Ave., 604-530-8888
- Water Shed Cafe, 20349 88 Ave., 604-882-0651
- Surrey Fiddlers Old Time Dance: The next dance is 7:30 p.m. on Dec. 6 at the Clayton Hall, 18513 70th Ave. Admission is $3. Info: 604-576-1066 or 604-538-3363.
- New Year's Party Fundraiser: Tickets are $75 before Dec. 1 for the party Dec. 31 at the Fort Langley Golf Club. The fundraiser helps Building Homes for Mexico Project for Greater Langley. Features rock and roll and country music, a buffet, party favours and more. Info and tickets: 604-897-2649 or www.inthefort.com.
- Square Wheelers Square Dance Club invites people to participate. Dancing is Tuesday and Wednesday, 7 p.m. at Port Kells Community Hall, 18918 88th Ave. Free to all new dancers. Register: 604-513-9901 or 604-594-6415, or www.squaredance.bc.ca.
- Scottish Country Dancing: The first lesson is free. Check out the lively dancing. No partner necessary. Beginners welcome. The group meets Tuesdays at 7:30 p.m. in the Fort Langley Community Hall. Info: Rebecca, 604-530-0500 or lonotera @shaw.ca.
- Guys'n'Gals Square Dance Club: Try modern western square dance for free for the first three dances. The club meets September through June at the Aldergrove OAP Hall, 3015 273rd St., on Sundays 1-4 p.m. Info: Wendy, 778-878-4244.
- 2012 Holiday Festival on Ice: The skating show at the Langley Events Centre on Dec. 1 features top talent: Kimmie Meissner, Kurt Browning, Elvis Stojko, Joannie Rochette, Jeffrey Buttle, Sinead and John Kerr and Shawn Sawyer. Tickets: $61.50 to $83.75 plus fees/taxes (www.ticketmaster.ca).
- Christmas in Williams Park: The 22nd annual holiday display is open Dec. 3 to 15 at 238th Street and 68th Avenue. Drive through 5:30-9 p.m. Dec. 3-15. On Dec. 14 and 15, enjoy an evening of entertainment, pony rides, treats, face painting, bon fires, horse and carriage rides, and a visit from Santa and Mrs. Claus. Free but donations gratefully accepted. Nearby parking areas with shuttle service to and from the park.
- A Cool Night of Jazz: On Dec. 5, the Trinity Western University School of Arts, Media and Culture presents its jazz combo for an evening of music ranging from My Funny Valentine to Pat Metheny, Benny Goodman to John Coltrane. At the TWU Music Building starting at 7:30 p.m. Admission by donation (minimum $5 suggested).
- Ceilidh: The next St. Andrew's United Church down home kitchen party is 7 p.m. on Dec. 13 at 9025 Glover Rd. Enjoy an evening of traditional music, song and dance. Now in its fifth season. Tickets: $5 including tea biscuits and jam. Info: www.standrewsfortlangley.ca. Performers can contact Jack at 604-888-7925, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 20th anniversary Christmas concert: The Langley Community Chorus offers a concert filled with music ranging from Ave Maria to the bluesy 'Zat You Santa Claus?. Shows are on Dec. 2 at Sharon United Church, and 3 p.m. on Dec. 9 at St. Dunstan's Anglican Church. Tickets at the door. Adults: $15, students: $10 and kids six and younger admitted free. Info: www.langleychorus.org.
- Valley Bluegrass Music Society: Membership is open to anyone who enjoys bluegrass. The group meets Mondays 7-10:30 p.m. in the Langley United Church for weekly jams. Attendance is free for the first time, then $4 for members and $6 for guests. For more information, call 604-534-0957, visit www.valleybluegrass.webs.com or by email at email@example.com.
- Langley Memorial Hospital Foundation holiday fundraisers: Keepsake Portraits has a $300 photo package (half goes to the foundation). Available throughout the Lower Mainland. Info: 604-7626629 or firstname.lastname@example.org.Edible Arrangements has a $45 hand-dipped chocolate strawberry collection with $9 going to the foundation. Available until Dec. 31. Info: 110 - 8700 200th St., or 604-888-3434.Poinsetta sale: Order in advance by Dec. 3 and pick up at the foundation office in Langley Memorial Hospital on the morning of Dec. 7. Three sizes available in red, pink or white for $5, $10 or $20 (largest size can be tricolour). The Murrayville RBC is purchasing the plants so more funds go to the cause. Info: www.lmhfoundation.com or 604-533-6422.
- Langley Writers' Guild: The group meets on the first, second and fourth Thursdays of the month at the Langley City library. All genres. The group will consider one evening meeting per month if there is interest. Info: Doris, 604-534-3384.
- Green Wednesday - Kwantlen Polytechnic University Horticulture students and the Green Ideas Network present the monthly environmental gathering at 7 p.m. in the campus auditorium. The Dec. 5 event features the documentary Shop Till You Drop. RSVP: 604-599-3247 or Betty.Cunnin@kwantlen.ca.
- Lament of the Butterflies: The Fort Gallery show by Doris Auxier and Edith Krause, with music by Jesse Krause runs to Dec. 2.
- Langley Camera Club Exhibition: Langley City and the Langley Arts Council present the art show in the foyer of City hall until Nov. 30. The show is part of the council's Art in Found Spaces program and can be viewed whenever City hall is open.
- Langley Camera Club meets 7 p.m. at Fort Langley Community Hall, 9167 Glover Rd., on 2nd, 3rd and 4th Wed. of each month. All levels of photographers and newcomers welcome. Info: 604-532-9212.
Programs are free, and pre-registration is required unless noted otherwise.
- Aldergrove Library
26770 29th Ave. 604-856-6415
Family Storytimes - Children ages 2-6 and their caregivers are invited to join library staff for a half- hour program of stories, songs, puppets and rhymes. 10:45 a.m., Wednesdays to Dec. 5.
- Brookswood Library
20045 40th Ave. 604-534-7055
- City of Langley Library
20399 Douglas Cres. 604-514-2855
Book Club: Members meet on the third Tuesday of the month to discuss a selected title. Call the library to find out the current title. 2 p.m.
Art Critiques the last Monday of each month. Are you developing your talent as an artist? Bring a piece of art to be discussed and interpreted by fellow participants, as well as by an experienced art facilitator. Pre-registration required. Call ahead to confirm. 7 p.m.
- Fort Langley Library
9167 Glover Rd. 604-888-0722
Deck the Halls: Enjoy festive activities Dec. 5, 2-4 p.m. including making a cedar swag. Supplies provided. Register in advance.
- Muriel Arnason Library
#130 20338 65th Ave. 604-532-3590
Christmas Pajama Storytime: For children 2-6 and their caregivers. Enjoy holiday stories, rhymes and sings. Dress in PJs and bring a small stuffed toy. Dec. 5, 7 p.m.
Christmas Cheer: Enjoy hot apple cider and cookies, and listen to seasonal music. Enter a children's Christmas book draw. Dec. 10, 3-5 p.m.
Christmas Family Storytime: Children ages 2-6 and their caregivers are invited to join library staff for a half-hour program of Christmas stories, songs, puppets and rhymes. 11:45 a.m., Dec. 11.
- Murrayville Library
22071 48th Ave. 604-533-0339
Family Storytimes: Children ages 2-6 and their caregivers are invited to join library staff for a half- hour program of stories, songs, puppets and rhymes. 10:30 a.m., Wednesdays to Dec. 12.
- Walnut Grove Library
8889 Walnut Grove Dr. 604-882-0410
North Pole Science Lab: Join Janine the Genius for an interactive show for ages five and older on Dec. 6 at 3:30 p.m. Space is limited so sign up in advance. Learning about the flying Santa cork, ELF burping potion, dry ice, and a candy cane bubble shower.
- African violet club: This is a call out to anyone interested in a new club for the Fraser Valley. Learn about the plants, their care, the varieties and more. Info: Shelley, 604-793-9818.
- Audition: Gallery 7 Theatre and Performing Arts open auditions for its March production of Arthur Ransome's, Swallows and Amazons, are Dec. 5 at 6:30 p.m. Open to male and female performers 16 to 65. To register for the audition or for information, contact 604-504-5940 or email@example.com.
- Art in Found Spaces Exhibition is organized by the Langley Arts Council. Submissions accepted of artwork of all disciplines that can be placed throughout Langley in unusual and public venues. Info: 604-534-0781, or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Handel Society of Music Choir
The choir has been together for 45 years and includes members from throughout the Fraser Valley. Practices: Northwood United Church, 88th Avenue and 156th Street. Info: Bob at 604-277-4319, or www.handelsociety.ca.
- Silver Belles & Beaux Chorus
New members welcomed as singers or instrumentalists. Visit Friday a.m. rehearsals. Lots of performances in care and retirement homes. Fun guaranteed. Info: call Marvyn Shore at 604-534-1090 or email email@example.com.
- Langley Community Chorus: Rehearsals are Wednesday evenings at 7:30 p.m. in the Langley Community Music School. New members (especially tenors and bass) welcome. Fees are $70 membership and $50 (refundable) music deposit. Info: www.langleychorus.org.
- Langley Concert Band: New members with a minium of one year playing experience are always welcome. Rehearsals: Monday, 7-9 p.m. in the R.E. Mountain Secondary band room. Info: firstname.lastname@example.org. Drop by to check it out before joining.
- Opus One Women's Ensemble: No experience is necessary, only a love of singing. The group performs all kinds of music and accepts new members throughout the year. Rehearsals are Wednesdays, 7-9 p.m. in the R.E. Mountain Secondary choir room. Info: email@example.com.
- Langley Amateur Radio Association (LARA): The group meets on the first Thursday of each month (unless otherwise advised) at 7 p.m. in the Brookswood Firehall, 20355 32nd Ave. Coffee and sweets. Info: Al, firstname.lastname@example.org or Don, email@example.com.
- Aldergrove Telephone Museum,
3190 271 St., 604-857-0555, www.telephonemuseum.ca
- B.C. Farm Machinery & Agricultural Museum,
9131 King St., 604-888-2273, www.bcfma.com
- Canadian Museum of Flight,
5333 216th St. hangar 3, 604-888-3992, www.canadianflight.org
- Langley Centennial Museum,
9135 King St., 604-888-3922
- Fort Langley National Historic Site
23433 Mavis Ave., 604-513-4777
- Surrey Historical Society Museum
17710 56A Ave., 604-592-6956
What's What? listings are free. To be considered for publication in the Langley Advance, items must be submitted at least 10 days prior to the publication date. What's What? appears weekly, in the Langley Advance's Thursday edition and in the online edition at www.langleyadvance.com.