Looking Back: Langley’s history from the week of Feb. 23

The story of Langley, as recorded in the pages of the Langley Advance.

Eighty Years Ago

February 25, 1937

Concerned about businesses selling goods not covered by their business licences, council considered bylaw amendments, especially with an eye to raise fees for out-of-town pedlars.

March 6 was set as a by-election date to fill the council vacancy left by Charles Reid’s resignation. Reid was ineligible to take his recently won seat because he held a contract to repair the municipality’s trucks.

Seventy Years Ago

February 27, 1947

The Langley Agricultural Association learned that plans for a Langley Memorial Hospital were “virtually” approved.

Langley’s fall fair dates were pushed back to Tuesday, Sept. 2 and Wednesday, Sept. 3. The Langley event had initially been allowed to proceed on the Labour Day weekend while the PNE was still out of commission, its ground commandeered by the Department of National Defence.

Sixty Years Ago

February 21, 1957

Mementos of early Langley City affairs and other memmorabilia (including an edition of the Langley Advance) were sealed in the foundation of the new city hall being built on Topping Road (204th Street.)

Naming of the proposed museum in Fort Langley, as a joint project between Langley City and Township, stalled while the City considered its position.

Fifty Years Ago

February 23, 1967

Estimates for paving of Logan and Thornton Avenues came in at $48,520 – about twice the City’s estimates.

Forty Years Ago

February 24, 1977

Carvolth Road (200th Street) was being widened from Fraser Highway to Grade Crescent.

Langley School Board held its first “Round the District” meeting at Wix-Brown Elementary.

Thirty Years Ago

February 25, 1987

Township council turned down a proposal to build a 35,000-square-foot shopping centre at the northwest corner of 204th Street and 88th Avenue in Walnut Grove.

Langley Food Bank reduced its opening hours to only one day a week.

Twenty Years Ago

February 21, 1997

Reports from Brazil indicated that Christine Lamont was coming home to Canada, but not to Langley. After serving eight years of a 28-year prison sentence for kidnapping, she and her fiance, David Spencer, were being allowed to serve out the rest of their terms in a Canadian jail. After years of maintaining their innocence, the pair had recently admitted guilt.

Langley School Board agreed to pay $424,000 in backed up bills to an architect firm that wrote off nearly $200,000 of a $1.2 million debt that had been partly settled on Langley’s behalf through the Ministry of Education.

Legal action was launched to stop soil and groundwater contamination from a North Otter gas station. Government officials had known about a spill at the station for eight months before notifying residents that their wells might be contaminated, and had waited months more before taking legal action.

Prime Minister Jean Chretien planned to be on hand for the opening of the Fort Langley National Historic Park’s new operations centre on March 6.