Langley in history: Williams Park was a Centennial project in 1967

The Langley Advance started publishing in 1931. Here’s a look back at history from its files.

Eighty Years Ago

June 10, 1937

• A mass of teachers’ resignations, expected before the end of the school year, had failed to materialize.

• The Langley School Board made no decision on a proposal to close East Langley Elementary School. It had been suggested that East Langley’s 13 students and 17 from Glen Valley could all be accommodated in the new Fort Langley Elementary.

Seventy Years Ago

June 12, 1947

• Langley council gave Surrey a $1,000 subsidy to hasten work on the Campbell River Road gully west of the Surrey/Langley border. The bridge, replaced by fill, had been closed four years earlier, cutting off southwest Langley residents’ direct route to White Rock, Cloverdale, and international customs.

• Mel Crawford was elected chairman of the Langley Fire Brigade. Hugh Lyttleton was elected secretary, Ben Cross fire chief, and Bob Norman deputy fire chief.

Sixty Years Ago

June 6, 1957

• After a 30-year wait, Fort Langley welcomed the official opening of a full ferry service across the Fraser River to Albion. Bands blared out a welcome in Fort Langley as special guests arrived on the first ferry from Albion – but one expected guest, Highways Minister Phil Gaglardi, had missed the boat.

Fifty Years Ago

June 8, 1967

• Williams Park, Langley’s 1967 centennial year project, officially opened. It was dedicated “to the pioneers who helped build the country, to the historic community of Langley, and to the citizens yet to come who will enjoy its amenities.”

• Penny McNeil was valedictorian of the largest class ever to graduate from Langley Secondary School.

Forty Years Ago

June 8, 1977

• Langley City “borrowed” Mitch Paik from Surrey’s recreation department to get local programs sorted out, following dissolution of the Joint Langley Recreation commission by Langley Township.

• Langley Memorial Hospi­tal’s new 75-bed extension was scheduled for completion in nine months.

• Reactions to the Fraser Industrial Centre proposed by Gloucester Properties for the northeast corner of the 264th Street freeway interchange were mixed. Residents of the area were generally upset, while others welcomed the prospects for jobs and industry.

Thirty Years Ago

June 10, 1987

• A man involved in a Halloween traffic accident that killed two teens was fined $1,000 and had his driver’s licence suspended for one year.

• Kelly Flannery was Aldergrove’s Rose Queen.